Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe… (just eat some damn vegetables)!!Caroline Fenton
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
Hiya folks, it’s Stacey here from Champagne & Gumboots again! I’m also known as Avidiva’s resident cook, blogger extraordinaire, champagne lover (obviously), sometimes yoga aficionado, country girl, wife and probably most importantly, MUM!!!
Lately, as you may be able to tell from my rather frustrated intonation, I am a little bit sick of hearing the word Mum and No. Actually, I’m more sick of hearing NO than any other noise or sound on earth at the moment. Simply put… my nearly two-year-old has become rather testing.
Specifically (though it really isn’t) when it comes to his food choices. I remember, gosh only a few months ago, I was raving about how my son’s favourite food was avocado and broccoli. I mean, go figure, the kid loved almost every kind of vegetable and would happily devour them.
Well fast forward a few months and that oh so lovely, you all know what I’m talking about, two-year-old attitude has kicked in and now he predominately lives on bread and meat. Oh and tiny bloody teddies.
Yup, almost every single meal and snack time has now become a headache, that I’m sure so many of you can relate to. I am honestly hoping this attitude changes, sooner rather than later, but for now I’m trying to come up with new and different ways to hide vegetables in just about everything. Though, admittedly, I haven’t reached the hiding the peas in his yoghurt stage just yet.
Luckily, not every day is a challenge, and on the oddest of occasion he will happily devour a whole carrot or some slices of sweet potato. For those days when he won’t touch a vegetable willingly, I turn to my Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe.
A fairly simple, rather yummy, not so bad for you, concoction that actually gets at least one veg into his belly! Hallelujah!
So if you need a little hidden veg inspiration, check this one out and give it a try tonight. Oh, and if you come looking for me, try the pantry, where I’ll be sitting devouring the chocolate chip bits and a bottle of wine! Ciao for now… xx
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Drizzle of Olive Oil
Sprinkle of Ground Nutmeg
400g Cauliflower, broken into small floret’s
1 Cup (uncooked) Pasta – any shape will do, however macaroni is fun!
1/3 Cup Natural Greek Yogurt
2/3 Cup Ricotta
1/3 Cup Mozzarella, grated
2/3 Cup Parmesan, grated
- Pre-heat your oven to 200° Celsius and line a large tray with baking paper. Break your cauliflower down into small florets (the smaller the better, as it will blend into the macaroni). Spread the cauliflower across the tray and drizzle lightly with olive oil, before sprinkling a touch of nutmeg over top. Pop into the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta as per packet instructions. Now you could easily swap standard pasta out for gluten free pasta and make the whole dish allergy friendly.
- In a medium baking dish dollop the greek yoghurt, ricotta and mozzarella.
- Once pasta is cooked through, drain ¾ of the water off. Add approximately 4Tbsp of this leftover water to your yogurt mix and mix thoroughly. Discard any remaining water.
- Add pasta and the now cooked cauliflower into the baking dish and mix well ensuring everything is evenly covered.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before popping straight into your hot oven for 10-15 minutes. You’ll know it’s cooked through when the top turns into a golden and crunchy crust!
- Serve with a small leafy salad (for the adults, since we know the kids won’t likely touch it!) This recipe also stores well for a few days and is decidedly yummy served cold too!
Enjoy you lovely bunch… ’til next month… keep champagne sipping. Stacey xx
Join The Avidiva Family