Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!! GF Super Crunchy Drumsticks RecipeCaroline Fenton
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner GF Super Crunchy Drumsticks Recipe. Move over KFC, there’s a new beast in town!! It’s still chicken, and it’s still awesome, but guess what…?! It’s actually pretty darn good for you, and it just happens to be gluten free!
Now there are two things that I miss eating that I don’t particularly like owning up to… OK ,so there’s more than two (we both know that). But these two things are of the really not-so-healthy variety (yes because I bake so healthily normally!!). One of these distasteful admonishes is onion rings from Hungry Jack’s, good god I miss them! The other is KFC chicken.
I know!! Oh the horror! The shame! But at least I admitted it.
When you go gluten free, you realise really quickly that there are just some things in this world that can’t be made GF. It’s a travesty, and you learn to live with it. Well, because you have to. Most of the time though, I don’t feel like I’m missing out, I quite enjoy my glutard-ness. Though I do suspect that has something to do with my baking skills and adapting so many favourite recipes over time.
Except when it comes to these two things. Oh and MacDonald’s hot cakes (when I’ve had a big night), but hallelujah… they’re actually working on fixing this as we speak!!
Chicken Drummers here we come…
So, I’ve made it my mission in life to create a delicious and super crunchy chicken drumstick that I could not only eat, but that I wouldn’t feel disgusting after eating either. The goal was to also make them fairly healthy and toddler friendly too!
Luckily for me and for you, I’ve come up with an amazing crispy drumstick that is really quick to prepare and is cooked in the oven, so no extra fat! It also means you get this gorgeously light, super crunchy, batter type concoction that the whole family will enjoy.
So if you need a little dinner time ideas this week, give these a try! And no longer will you feel the need to hang your head out the window as you drive past KFC. (Not that I actually do that or anything….)
Hmmm I think I may have to go back to the drawing board for the HJ’s onion rings though…..
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner GF Super Crunchy Drumsticks Recipe!
1 Kg Chicken Drumsticks – fat on or off, your choice!
1 Egg, beaten with a splash of milk
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Cornflakes
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Breadcrumbs – avoid corn based crumbs as they just don’t seem to work the same way
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Plain Flour
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Onion Salt
Sprinkle Dried Rosemary
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180° Celsius and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
2. Lay out 3 bowls, large enough to fit one drumstick at a time. Take one bowl, whisk the egg with a dash of milk and place to the side.
3. In a second bowl place the cornflakes that you have crumbled roughly with your hands, mix this with the breadcrumbs and place aside.
4. In a third bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and season.
5. What you want to do next is create a conveyor belt line to get you fantastically crunchy chicken. You want them to be in a order that works for you, however if you place them flour first, egg next, then the cornflake crumb last next to the baking tray, you’ll do just fine.
6. Take your first drumstick and place it into the flour, roll it around a bit and be sure to press a good coating of it into the skin of the chicken.
7. Next, dump it into the egg wash and roughly coat. Sadly yes, your fingers will get sticky! Then transfer straight into the cornflakes and roll it around until you have a solid, crispy coating the entire thing.
8. Place straight onto your tray and repeat with all of the drumsticks! Place your tray into the hot oven for 45 minutes or until the juices run clear. I suggest turning the chicken at about the half way point, though it’s not strictly necessary!
9. Once cooked through, remove and enjoy immediately with a light garden salad or steamed veg. I must admit, they’re even fantastic served cold the next day!
Honestly? I don’t think anything will ever take the place of KFC’s 11 secret herbs and spices… but this comes pretty darn close!
What’s your one gluten dish that you miss horribly?!
Join The Avidiva Family